Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sagada, Mt. Province

This is my first blog. I got the idea after reading a friend's blog and was inspired  to start my own. As I said, this is my first time so please bear with me. Here it is.....

Eve of December 24, 2011, after sending off my sister Tina to the airport to Singapore, I told my brother Trik to drop me off at Victory Liner Cubao Bus Terminal. This is my first time to do solo backpacking. My first destination is Sagada. I have heard and read so many wonderful stories about Sagada, and this time I want to try and experience it myself. 

I catch the De Luxe Bus going Benguet and after 4.5 hours, around 4:00 AM, I find myself chilling in the streets of Baguio City. It's still too early for the first bus trip going Sagada so I decided to take a sip of hot coffee at 7-11 near the Victory Liner Terminal. Then, I took a cab heading to Dangwa Station to catch the first bus trip to Sagada.

GL Transit going Sagada at Dangwa Terminal.
It's Christmas holiday and many of the bus drivers enjoyed their holiday vacation. We waited almost 4 hours before we finally set to go. I met a friendly girl from Portugal and like me, it's her first time to travel Sagada and Philippines as well. Her name is Helena. She is such a kind, poised and charming lady. She is interested to know more about our culture, tradition and customs.

The view to Sagada is amazing. Enough to fill up the 6-hour trip from Baguio City to our destination.





Luckily, we booked earlier at St. Joseph Resthouse as most guesthouses and hostels were fully occupied.

St. Joseph Resthouse entrance door.

After few minutes of settling our things, we decided to take a walk around town proper. We registered at the Tourism Office. This is their standard protocol to all tourists in Sagada. We also signed up for caving and was advised to be in the office the following morning to meet our guide. Then off we wander to check the place. We all tour the places below by foot. We learned that there is a curfew in Sagada. Remember, the curfew time is 9:00 PM. This is my first time to do long walk. And I can't imagine how long will I survive. Let us see.

Local Sagada jeepney. This is larger and wider compare to jeepneys in the city.

Giant bell in front of Sagada Church.


Front facade of Sagada Church with me of course. Beauty!  

A peek inside Sagada Church.


They have a souvenir shop inside with authentic  items made by locals.

Unfortunately it's closed when we passed  by so we just took some pictures.


Sagada's local hospital.

Second day, we (Helena and I) went back to the Tourism Office and there we met our guide.  This time with 3 new friends: Anais, Rani and Casandra. Spelunking with them will be more exciting. The more the merrier they said and besides we can save the cost of our tour package if we will all be together. Blessing! The guide discussed with us the three options for caving. Option 1: Going Sumaging Cave for 2 hours. Option 2: Lumyang (Burial) Cave for 2 hours. And Option 3: Cave traversing/connection from Lumyang Cave to Sumaging Cave. According to the guide, the most adventurous people can choose the third option. And so we do the last option, traversing from Lumyang Cave to Sumaging Cave. It took us five hours before we finally reach the exit of Sumaging Cave. Here are the photos of our spelunking experience.

We are at Lumyang (Burial) Cave entrance. The start of our cave traversing to Sumaging Cave.
You will see coffins of locals behind us. 


And the spelunking began.


Can you tell me what it looks like? Aren't we look like big babies?

Inside the cave, underneath is a mushroom like rock formation.


Anais and Rani tasting the mocha-chocolate cake.
At the King's Curtain.


P-E-A-C-E


Rani & I inside a crocodile's mouth.


Finally after 5 hours, we did it!


Our guide upon reaching the exit of Sumaging cave, congratulated us. With a big smile in his face, he told us that all of us are good cavers. We managed to successfully finish it while having fun. He admired our agility, endurance and our spirit of teamwork. Kudos to everyone!


Third day, I could hardly walk. My leg muscles are aching due to caving activity that we did. But I'm still eager and determined to see many places in Sagada. I met with the ladies and we decided to schedule the Tanulong Rice Terraces visit and Echo Valley trek. We were told that going to the terraces would take us 30 minutes but unfortunately it's a 2-hour walk from the town proper. It's a very looooooong walk as in super super looooong walk. We reached the terraces almost lunch time. Then walk again going town proper. It's a day of walking I guess. So thankful to the good young samaritan who gave us a lift. I can kiss his ass for saving me the agony of walking again. Then in the afternoon guess what???? Trekking again. This time at Echo Valley. It's an hour walking again. Wahhhhhhh!! And then after Echo Valley, we tried rock climbing. It's an awesome experience. You should try it. 

Caving is one of the highlights of my visit to Sagada. But aside from that, there are many to-do list in Sagada. 

From left: Helena, Rani & I at Echo Valley. An hour trek from town proper.




At Echo Valley, you have to shout if not it's called Valley only because there will be no Echo. I'm not joking.


Going Tanulong Rice Terraces. An endless road.


Finally after two hours of walking. Hurray!!!!!!!!



Anais & I at Tanulong Rice Terraces.


Tanulong Rice Terraces


The Hanging Coffins



Rock Climbing


Hanging out with the locals. Showing their native dance.


My visit to Sagada will not be complete without sharing you guys the yummy food they serve locally.  Please see below:

Navales Bakeshop. The best tasting muffins & chocolate puddings at very reasonable price.


Yoghurt House


The best Banana Yoghurt Pancake for breakfast + mountain tea = Heaven! @Yoghurt House. 
Recommended also by Lonely Planet Travel Guide Book


Lemon Pie House. Good news! They have Wi-fi.


The best Lemon Pie at Lemon Pie House.


Grilled Pepper Pork with potato balls & Norweigian Salad at Salt N Pepper. Yummy!
And they have fast wi-fi too.

In preparation for our long walk of the day I ordered Hikers Breakfast w/ brown rice & mountain tea at Yoghurt House. Nomnom!


My first time to try Pork & Chicken Pinikpikan served with brown rice at Pinikipikan House. Love it!


Chicken Adobo @Lemon Pie House. It look and tastes like chicken menudo to me. Delicioso!


Fourth day, I can't move my body. My back, arms and legs are in pain. I just stayed in my room. When lunch time came, I almost cry in pain as I have to take the ladder to go down to eat. I want to cry every time I see stairs. I totally hate stairs. I remember my experience when I joined the Mt. Kinabalu Climb in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah Malaysia. The same situation. And Jeanine will surely agree. Right Jeanine? 

Time to leave Sagada on my fifth day. I totally enjoyed the peace and quietness Sagada gave me for five days. The relaxed ambiance and slow pace of life. The fresh crisp scent of pine trees. The friendly, helpful and accommodating locals. The scenic mountains and greens.

Departed Sagada at 4:00AM. We arrived lunch time in Baguio City. Feeling so tired, exhausted and in total body pain, I decided to spend another night in Baguio City. My friendly Lonely Planet Travel Guide Book recommended Baguio Village Hotel and there I zzzzzzzzzzzzzz the whole time.

This is my most unforgettable trip ever. Lots of first. First time solo backpacking, first time in Sagada, first time cave connection experience and first time to rock climb. 


From left: Cassandra, Minnie, Rani, Anais & Helena

Thankful to the ladies I met on this journey. My new Portugese friend Helena, who loves mountain tea so much and until now sending me pictures of her latest travels. My French friend Anais who loves chicken curry and at some point my fellow Arnis buddy. My Korean friend Rani who loves drinking beer and right now still travelling Philippines. Finally, my Chinese friend Cassandra who loves Adobo and we still have communication for our Filipino-Chinese language exchange. 

My trip will never be the same again without the coolest and adventurous ladies I ever met. The cave connection thing does not only gave us the wonderful experience of our lives but somewhat gave us the girl connection that is so hard to explain. I will surely miss our laughter together during meals, enjoying the yummy food, culture sharing and the drinking session we had at the Raggae House. 

I hope our paths will cross again. Until then. And thanks God "I Survived Sagada".








2 comments: